Thursday, January 15, 2009

Watermelon Seeds in Chinatown

As I went to Singapore Chinatown, I had a chance to learn new thing about watermelon seeds. It's not only I went to Chinese Medicine Shop for Bah Kut Teh Ingredients only but I also observed something else.

I was learned that there are two types of watermelon seeds -- one is black (which I am familiar with) and the other one is red !!! It's the first time I have seen the red one ... Both were shown in barrel which were seated on the floor and selling in kilogram ... However, I did not buy it since the shop keeper gave me 1 handful of each ... He explained that the red one is more thicker than the normal black one -- just try then I would like it ...

I have found that since the red is a sign of good luck, threfore, the red watermelon seeds are in demand around the Chinese New Year. (please correct me if I am wrong on this -- it's so difficult to find what's the difference between these two ...)






Watermelon seeds are excellent source of protein (both essential and non-essential amino acid) and oil. Watermelon seeds contains 35% protein, 50% oil, and 5% dietary fiber as key nutrition. It's also rich in micro & macro nutrients such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorous, and zinc.

Here is a little information about watermelon seeds which I was found from 'The Chinese Habit of Eating Melon seeds by A.H. Crook' ...

There are two specimens of watermelon seeds -- The White Seeds which are slightly roasted and perhaps a little salted before they are sold (somewhat softer than the red seeds) and The Red Seeds which are also roasted and come from the north of the Kwangrung Province .

The opening of watermelon seeds especially the red one requires almost a special education to do it gracefully -- stripping of the hard shell to obtain the tiny kernel and then to be appreciated. Watermelon seeds is very important in China on account of its seeds -- a perfect passion, a trasure of cheap amusement, a daily consumption, and assemble with a drink tof ea or rice-wine ... Actually, the analysis thinking that since Chinese took no butter, the requirement of an oily substitue made them turn to the watermelon seeds - same as Russians take sunflower seeds.

No comments: